UNIFOR condemns Israeli attacks on Gaza
Unifor has condemned the recent atrocities committed on the people of Gaza by the Israeli bombardments that have escalated over the past week.
“These deadly assaults have targeted residential buildings and refugee camps, a medical clinic, and international media offices. The death toll, including large numbers of children, climbs daily with thousands injured and homeless. The utterly disproportionate and indiscriminate military actions on Gaza must be viewed as crimes against humanity,” the Unifor said in a statement.
“The latest escalation stems from coordinated political acts of aggression, including the evictions of Palestinians in East Jerusalem, the Israeli security forces attack against the Al-Aqsa mosque, and the disturbing wave of violence against Palestinians in Israel and the West Bank,” it added.
statement from @UniforTheUnion describe “indiscriminate military actions on Gaza…as crimes against humanity” & call 4 “…full weapons ban/embargo on Israel. We should not b supplying arms that Israeli forces R using 2 commit these human rights atrocities vs Palestinian people” pic.twitter.com/2NKj6lthPd
— Labour 4 Palestine (@PalestineLabour) May 19, 2021
Unifor joins human rights organizations and people who have demonstrated in cities around the world in recent days calling for an immediate end to the military actions in Gaza. In addition, we ask that the Canadian government take the following immediate actions:
- Denounce the violence against the Palestinian people. Without global political pressure, the occupation, denial of human rights, and massive military force against Palestinians will continue.
- Issue a full weapons ban/embargo on Israel. We should not be supplying arms that Israeli forces are using to commit these human rights atrocities against the Palestinian people.
- Convince the U.S. to stop stalling and sign the United Nations Security Council statement condemning Israeli violence and calls for a ceasefire.
- Work with the international community and demand that Israel immediately restore electricity, sanitation, and full water access and purification to the people of Gaza. Gaza borders should also be opened to allow for the free flow of medical supplies from international organizations — including COVID-19 vaccines — and those requiring medical interventions.
- Work with the international community to demand that Israel end all home confiscations, demolitions, and construction of illegal settlements.
The military assault on Gaza is the fourth Israeli offensive since 2008. It has shown once again that there can be no lasting and just peace without an end to the occupation of the Palestinian Territories and a political solution based on the respect of universal human rights and democracy.