First Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Action Plan in Niagara Approved
#Niagara @niagararegion #Diversity
Niagara Region and the 12 local municipalities affirmed their support for diversity, equity and inclusion when they signed a joint declaration to join the Coalition of Inclusive Municipalities on Sept. 18, 2020.
Current diversity, equity and inclusion work is focused on creating an action plan to guide the work at the Region for the next five years, and initial steps are being taken to advance diversity, equity and inclusion in Niagara.
The objectives of the Coalition of Inclusive Municipalities are to:
- Improve municipal practices to promote social inclusion
- Establish policies to eradicate racism and discrimination
- Promote human rights and diversity
Importance of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Diverse talent: Better represents the public we serve in all positions, including senior management
- Inclusive leaders: Equipped to respond to a changing workforce and community
- Diversity of thought and experience: Thrive in an inclusive workplace, improving productivity, innovation and quality of outcomes
- Greater collaboration: Enables creativity and innovation in the way we work
- Responsive public service: Creates equitable policies, programs and services
Goals for 2021-2022
- Goal 1: To develop a five-year Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Action Plan by April 2022
- Goal 2: To increase the diversity of job applicants and new staff hired
- Goal 3: To provide staff with the knowledge, skills and resources to reduce racism and discrimination, and improve inclusion and diversity
- Goal 4: To provide opportunities for community members to be heard and participate in decision-making processes
- Goal 5: To improve collaboration with diverse community members and organizations in Niagara
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.