Build your First Mobile App in Half a Day (HTML5, jQuery & PhoneGap or Native iOS)
Wednesday, July 24, 2013 at 8:00 AM – Thursday, July 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM Toronto, ON
A free half-day training course to learn everything you need to know to build your first mobile app — either in HTML5+PhoneGap+jQuery or with native iOS Obj-C code!
As taken by over 1,000 people in San Francisco, Austin, Amsterdam, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Denver, Detroit, Houston, San Jose, Atlanta and Los Angeles!
The classes are completely free (and all the software & services we’ll be using are too — most of them are even open-source)
Can’t join us for the full training? Come by for the 1-hour meetup-style presentation showing your how to quickly build mobile apps using free or open-source tools!
- The HTML5 class will teach you everything you need to build apps that work on (iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, mobile browsers, etc.) we will review the important mobile features of HTML5 & JavaScipt. You will learn how to use a mobile UI framework (jQuery Mobile), how to add app features with a Backend-as-a-Service (open-source Usergrid) and how to deploy your app to devices natively using PhoneGap.
- The Native iOS class will show you how to create a native mobile app for iPhones & iPads (Apple laptop with Mac OS Lion or Mountain Lion and solid programming experience in another language required). We will review the syntax and major features of Obj-C. You will learn how to build an iOS UI and how to add app features with a Backend-as-a-Service (open-source Usergrid).
- The meetup presentation will cover the same topics but in very condensed form (1 hour), most of it as a walkthrough, hands-on demo showing you how to build a simple app (a store locator), step by step, using free or open-source tools.
- A laptop: minimum OS requirements are Mac OS X 10.5.8, Windows XP, or any linux that supports JDK6
- A working install of PhoneGap/Cordova. For Android, please follow these special instructions. For iOS, Windows Phone and Blackberry, you can follow the standard guide instead.
- 30 minutes before start: registration + breakfast (morning sessions) or lunch (afternoon sessions)
- Hour 1: Intro HTML5 and Mobile Apps. Building your mobile UI with (jQuery Mobile)
- Hour 2: Add live data to your app with an API backend (Usergrid)
- Hour 3: Add more screens to your app
- Hour 4: make your app run natively on devices with PhoneGap
- Hour 5: Advanced topics (30 minutes) + 30 minutes of Q&A over lunch (morning sessions) or beers (afternoon sessions)
- An Apple laptop with Mac OS Lion or Mountain Lion
- A working install of XCode. You can download XCode for free from the Mac App Store
- 30 minutes before start: registration + lunch
- Hour 1: Intro to Obj-C and Mobile Apps.
- Hour 2: Build your UI with storyboards
- Hour 3: Add live data to your app with an API backend (Usergrid)
- Hour 4: Add more screens to your app
- Hour 5: Advanced topics (30 minutes) + 30 minutes of Q&A over beers